Monday, December 7, 2009

True meaning of Christmas...

The past few years, I've dreaded the whole Christmas season. All the lights, the music, the presents, the shopping, the commercials, how commercialized "Christmas" is. Although, I do enjoy going out and looking at the lights, I love Christmas music and listen to it all year long, shopping- well, lets just say I love to shop.. so, what's not to love about this time of year?? I have been asking myself this for the past few years.

This year, I'm looking at it differently. It's not about all those things I listed above. Christmas isn't about how much I buy for my kids or family. It's about JESUS! Who knew?! I've lost my focus on the reason for the season. I never forgot, I was just looking at it all wrong. We've been teaching the boys about Santa and they better be good boys or else... Hmmm, I guess I've failed on teaching them the true meaning of CHRISTmas. It's all because of the baby who was born to save us!

My friend posted the song "Mary did you Know" a few days ago, and Sunday at church it was sung by a lady during the offering. It really got me thinking about our savior and the true meaning- not just Christmas, but why I'm here.. my purpose in life (that's a whole other blog of it's own though, huh?) After all, HE is the reason I'm here.

Our pastor at church yesterday talked about Mary, and how she was merely a tool or vessel for God.. not to be glorified or praised. But, how awesome would that have been to be holding your baby and kissing the face of the Great I Am?! And- little did she know as she delivered Him, that HE would soon deliver her!!


Mary did you Know?


Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered
Will soon deliver you

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will calm a storm with His hand?
Did you know
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby
You've kissed the face of God

Mary, did you know?
The blind will see
The deaf will hear
And the dead will live again
The lame will leap
The dumb will speak
The praises of the Lamb

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding
Is the Great I Am


These words struck me this morning in my bible study and have been running through my head ever since, and now I leave you with you...

Philippians 3:10
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,

1 comment:

Jennifer Kindle said...

Amen! Sunday morning when I read the bulletin and saw that Debbie was singing that I was thinking how awesome that was that I already blogged about it! He's even in the smallest details.