Monday, August 19, 2013

One year down

I'll never forget our first year of homeschooling. I was overwhelmed with all the different curriculums and teaching styles. Oh my, what am I going to do to my kids? Am I crazy? Worry and panic started to flood my every thought. How was I going to get laundry done, cook dinner,  iron Kyle's shirts, AND teach math, reading, science, history, and spelling. Then, one night, God softly spoke to me as I was laying in bed praying my heart out. I knew He was with me; God has a way of working all things together for good as we trust him.

I went to a meeting to see what this whole "homeschool group" thing was about.  I just knew there I would get answers.  I did, but not the one's I was looking for. I had Katie, the leader of this homeschool group come over so I could pick her brain. Again, I just knew she would give me answers. She gave me peace...A LOT, but still not (what I thought) the answers I was desperately needing.  She told me to take the next week (as my family and I were traveling to Galveston) to pray for those answers.  I knew she was right, but still I just wanted someone to tell me, "This curriculum, use this!" That week in Galveston, with a different prayer on my lips, I began seeking answers.  

By the time I got home I had peace in my heart. But not because I had 'answeres' on which curriculum to use. It was again, I knew he was with me working out all the details.  So, a week later we began.  The first week was a breeze. They sat at the table and did what was asked of them.  I couldn't believe how easy this was! I wish I could stop there, but I'm not gonna lie.... that didn't last. I had to be a mother with purpose and a plan. I had no idea what that was, but I trusted in God to help us thrive! As the months went on some days were better than others. I noticed every day, though, that the boys may not remember what they learned but how they learned it. 

It wasn't until the end of our year that I realized the relationships I foster with my children were more important than the books we read.  I wished I could have a do over! 

OH, but I do. There is this year! With every year you get to reset. This year will be different!! This year our school will be more of a discipleship!! More to come on this later. For now I have to go feed all the animals...including the kids and husband! ;)

Until then....

Oh, and by the way, Kyle's shirts aren't getting ironed and we don't do near as much science as the boys would like, but it's working! 


2 comments:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Nothing ever replaces time with the family. As a retired teacher, I know how difficult it can be to balance family with teaching. Just by reading your posts I can tell Trisha that you are a very caring, loving, faithful mother. This year will be even better than last year with your determination.

God's blessings to you and the family for another wonderful adventure in educating the boys.

Katie Sadler said...

YES! and Amen to hearing from the Lord and pursuing HIS peace.
Now...on to year 2!