Sunday, October 20, 2013

Self-centered or Christ-centered

This week the boys and I did a study of the parable "The Shepherd and The Lost Sheep".  I explained to them how God loves every last person on this earth, no matter their worldly crimes, or sins committed against him. God wants every last soul to know him.

After reading through my Sunday School lesson which talks about conflict and not thinking only of myself, it has me in deep thought. We all have people in our lives that it's hard for us to love or even like... Some days I have more trouble with this than others, and I have to rely on the Lord to take my thoughts captive. And pray that he can love them through me! God knows, I can't do it through my flesh..! After reading 1 Samuel 24:1-15 the Lord was shouting loud and clear!!

So get this...

If you don't know the story I'll give you the highlights. Saul is the King, and David was very loyal, maybe even a friend I guess you could say. He lead the army and fought for Saul's kingdom. Until Saul grew jealous of the attention David got form everyone. David was even anointed and would become king (and I don't think Saul knew this)...more on this in a second. Saul was so envious he wanted to kill David, so he had to flee the city. David was hiding in a cave, and Saul, who was out hunting David needed a place to relieve himself. He entered this cave and David could very easily have killed him. But he didn't!! Even though he would have been next king, and even though he probably had grounds to kill him because Saul was hunting him for no good reason other than jealousy. Instead, David felt led to apologize to Saul for usurping part of his power. Even though David wasn't wrong - never did he try to take fame or glory away from Saul, he was nothing but faithful - nonetheless, David apologizes! In hopes of softening Saul's heart.  

The shepherd that goes after that one lost sheep!!

When there is conflict it's easy to go with your own agenda. Even thinking it's from the Lord (he handed it to you on a silver platter, or in a cave in the case of David), but it's humbling to swallow pride and apologize for something you didn't do. 

David was "a man after God's own heart." I want to be the same...but woman of course. ;) 

His ways are always better than ours AND FREEING!! I will never look at conflict the same way again. It's more than just my agenda... I have to look at the bigger picture! It's not about me and my self-centered way of thinking. 

Thank you, Lord, for humbling me and softening my heart!

No comments: