Friday, September 3, 2010

What's an apologist??

a·pol·o·gist 
 [uh-pol-uh-jist]
-noun
1. a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.

Every Christian is an apologist. Am I ready to share Gods word with others;  Strangers, family, people I know?...hmmmm.  

Reading through my study guide for Sunday school and it really convicted my heart! I always pray to and think about God throughout my day. I read my book for my bible study (on being a better mom), I read my Sunday school book- which teaches something different each week. But, after reading this weeks lesson it has taught me that I'm not as prepared as I thought I was. I'm not good at striking up conversation with strangers, much less talk to them about god. What really spoke to me in this study guide- it says, "The bible is full of examples that show us how to speak to people in ways they can understand (see John 4:1-26 and Acts17:22-34). Whether we are standing in a checkout line at grocery store or jogging through the neighborhood, God provides us with everything we need to move our conversations with others in a spiritual direction."  

I'm not prepared to share Christ with others, so of course I'm not going to feel comfortable striking up conversation. I've always had the idea, "Well, that's not a gift God gave me, so I'll leave it to those he did gift it to." Boy have I been wrong!  It is up to me!! We are put on this earth to worship our Creator and bring more souls to Him. I thought I've been doing my job in just teaching and leading my boys to Christ, until being convicted tonight. So much, that it's all I could think about and can't sleep. Hence-this blog- while in my bed on my iPad where it's hard to type. But I didn't want to waist another second by walking to the computer room; I needed to pour my heart out.....  

If I'm well-equipped I can be effective. I've always envied people who are 'people persons' and aren't afraid to talk to anyone. I now have a reason to be this person.  
 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13
 
I will be praying before I leave to go anywhere about the people He puts in my path to share Him with. I can't worry about what others will think. I am a bible thumper, after all! Christianity goes against our culture and I'm sure to be mocked; by strangers and by those I know.  But, thanks to Jesus I'll never know persecution! No! Now, He had it bad. Watched "Passion of The Christ" lately?!? I did with my Uncle Vernon....what a good reminder.   

Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14

I want this for everyone! How many souls can we win for Christ???  

I'll leave you with this!....

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.  2 Corinthians 4:17

 

No comments: